Bloomberg

Ford (F - Get Report)  said Tuesday it would record an impairment charge of $800 million to $900 million in the third quarter from its India Automotive operations.

In an 8-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Ford said it discovered the potential charge after conducting held-for-sale impairment testing. Ford did say, however, that the charge wouldn't result in any cash expenditures. 

In the same filing, the company announced that it was creating a joint venture in India with Mahindra & Mahindra.

Ford expects about $11 billion in potential EBIT charges for all of its global redesign actions. The company expects negative cash effects of about $7 billion. 

The joint venture will see Mahindra market and distribute Ford brand vehicles in the country as well as other "high-growth emerging markets around the world."

The joint venture is expected to be operational by mid-2020, subject to regulatory approvals. 

Mahindra will own a 51% stake in the venture with Ford owning the remaining 49%. Ford also will transfer its India operations to the new entity, including personnel and assembly plants in Chennai and Sanand. 

"Ford and Mahindra have a long history of working together, and we are proud to partner with them to grow the Ford brand in India," said Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford. 

The new company expects to introduce three new Ford utility vehicles, including a new midsize SUV. The company also will focus on electric vehicles. 

Save 57% During Our Fall Sale. Join Jim Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS investment club to become a smarter investor. Click here to sign up and save!