Shares of Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) - Get Report were lower over 2% during mid-morning trading on Thursday on reports the Justice Department is readying to file a civil lawsuit against the automaker for selling 104,000 cars that emit excess diesel emissions.
Reuters reported that the Justice Department could file a suit under the Clean Air Act as early as this week if no settlement is reached with the Italian-American automaker.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board in January accused Fiat Chrysler of illegally implementing undisclosed software to allow excess diesel emissions in 104,000 U.S. 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks.
Over on Real Money Jim Cramer give advice to investors looking at how to play the Trump Trade. Get his insights or analysis with a free trial subscription to Real Money.
Read more of TheStreet's top stories:
- If Apple, Facebook and Netflix Keep Diving, the Ugly Trump Stock Market Correction Could Be a Thing
- Alibaba Stock Slumps on Quarterly Earnings Despite Big Jump in Revenue
- Jim Cramer Discusses Cisco, Walmart, Alibaba, Ascena Retail and Foot Locker
- Look How Walmart Just Schooled Everyone Else in Retail -- Jim Cramer Weighs In
- Why President Pence Would Be a Nightmare for Tesla and Elon Musk
- Former Fox News Chief Roger Ailes Is Dead at 77