The restaurant chain will be giving away a free medium-sized coffee with the purchase of any size above small. Interestingly, the offer of free coffee perfectly captures what's happening right now in the business of coffee. Dunkin' is effectively at war with McDonald's (MCD) - Get Report in the business of selling coffee. The Golden Arches continues to offer sharp discounts on its various hot and iced coffees to drum up badly needed business. Meanwhile on the higher-end of the spectrum, Starbucks (SBUX) - Get Report continues to concoct sugary iced bombs that fetch upward of $6 each.
Nevertheless, Dunkin' Brands CEO Nigel Travis remains bullish on coffee. And in fact, he thinks that Dunkin just flat out makes better coffee than McDonald's and that should bode well amidst the coffee wars.
"I don't think the coffee business is any more competitive that it has ever been, but it's very competitive," Travis told TheStreet in an interview. "You can buy a coffee from McDonald's, or you can buy the real stuff from Dunkin."
Dunkin Donuts CEO Reveals the Future of Coffee on National Coffee Day
Don't miss these top stories on TheStreet:
- Amazon Warehouse Employees' Message to Jeff Bezos -- We Are Not Robots
- The Ford $100,000 F-450: 'The Most Luxurious, Advanced Heavy-Duty Pickup Truck'
- September Auto Sales On Pace to Set Record for 2017
- Wall Street Loves Roku Because It Has a Plan to Steamroll Amazon and Google
- Boeing Is Dominating Its Battle With Bombardier: Technical Analysis
- Kawasaki Ninja H2R: Is it Enough to Excite Die-Hard Enthusiasts?