Jim Cramer is naming Disney (DIS) - Get Report as one of his 10 Best Stocks for a Market Pullback, saying everything from ESPN's nascent turnaround to Disney's planned acquisition of major assets from 21st Century Fox (FOXA) - Get Report looks good.
"I do believe that maybe it goes a little bit lower ... but I want you to buy it," Cramer said in an exclusive conference call for members of his Action Alerts PLUS club for investors.
Cramer used the call to unveil his 10 Best Stocks for a Market Pullback, a rundown of his favorite stocks to right now as the market struggles with what's so far been a month of generally falling prices. The S&P 500 hit an all-time intraday high of 2,940.91 on Sept. 21, but has slid some 6% since then.
Cramer called his list of picks "a rundown of the top 10 stocks in the portfolio that we would purchase right now if we were not restricted or if we did not already own large positions [in them]. Think of these as a starting point for those who are either new to the club or who have been looking to put capital to work after the recent market sell-off." (You can sign up for a free 14-day trial of Action Alerts PLUS and watch Jim's full video call here.)
Cramer included Disney on his rundown because of several tailwinds the stock is enjoying, including:
- The Fox Deal. Cramer sees Disney's $71 billion deal to buy 21st Century Fox's major assets as a "game-changer. We're hard-pressed to find a company with better [intellectual-property] portfolio than Disney ... and their IP [will be] strengthened by the acquisition of 21st Century Fox." He said the Fox assets that Disney is buying "span six continents [and] reach over 1.8 billion consumers speaking roughly 50 different languages. The global exposure this deal brings Disney cannot be understated."
- Hulu. The Fox deal also includes a 30% stake in Hulu, boosting Disney's stake in popular streaming service to 60%. Cramer said that will put DIS "in a strong position to control the content and direction of that already-established streaming platform," which he called "the only realistic challenger to Netflix (NFLX) - Get Report out there."
- 'DisneyFlix.' DIS will soon launch its streaming-video service that some are calling "DisneyFlix" because it will essentially compete with Netflix. Cramer predicted the new unit "will serve the boost recurring revenues while offsetting the pressures of cord-cutting."
- ESPN. A turnaround at Disney's long-struggling ESPN network "is on track, and ESPN Plus already has a million sign-ups," Cramer said.
Want to see all of Jim's 10 Best Stocks for a Market Pullback? Click here for a free 14-day trial of Action Alerts PLUS, where you'll receive access to the full list. Other club benefits include:
- A rundown of all stocks that Jim's AAP charitable trust currently holds;
- Custom research throughout every trading day from Jim and his team of stock-market analysts;
- E-mail alerts that give you a chance to buy or sell a stock before Jim and the team make any trade for the charitable trust.
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, is long DIS.