A group of Democrats in Congress have urged the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission to perform a thorough review of Amazon.com's (AMZN) - Get Amazon.com, Inc. Report planned purchase of Whole Foods Market (WFM) , Reuters reports.
The lawmakers have asked for the review to assess what impact the merger would have on less privileged areas and their access to healthy foods and fresh groceries.
"While we do not oppose the merger at this time, we are concerned about what this merger could mean for African-American communities across the country already suffering from a lack of affordable healthy food choices from grocers," the group said.
The letter was signed by Ohio Representative Marcia Fudge and 11 additional Democrats, including New Jersey Senator Cory Booker.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Chipotle CEO Should Be Canned for Not Apologizing to Sickened Customers in Virginia, Analyst Says
- O.J. Simpson's 4 Biggest Business Achievements
- Best Buy's Geek Squad Is a Mess According to Customer Reviews, Opening the Door for Amazon's Entry
- Sears' Kenmore Products on Amazon Is Hurting Home Depot, Jim Cramer Explains
- Former Apple Exec: 'It's Sad to See Apple Slipping to the Position of Follower'
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate Like Golden State Warriors Star Steph Curry