Billionaire Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) - Get Report(BRK.B) - Get Report on Tuesday exercised its right to acquire 700 million shares of Bank of America Corp (BAC) - Get Report , effectively becoming the bank's top shareholder, Reuters reports.
The purchase more than triples his original investment made six years ago.
TCharlotte, NC.-based Bank of America announced the exercise of warrants that gave Berkshire the right to obtain the bank's shares for roughly $7.14 each.
The action now gives Berkshire around a 6.6% stake in the U.S. bank, based on an uptick in the amount of Bank of America shares outstanding, Reuters data indicated.
Shares of Bank of America traded up 0.5% to $23.72 Wednesday morning.
Warren Buffett isn't your run-of-the-mill mega-rich billionaire.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Costco's Dramatic Crash Might End Up Yielding a Huge Payoff
- Joel Osteen Has Built a Business Empire
- Under Armour's Move Into Sneaker Business Has Been a Disaster, Jim Cramer Says
- Buying a Tesla Could Soon Become Ridiculously More Expensive
- Stocks Hold Onto Gains as Trump Talks Tax Reform