The talks include the full range of BP's currently producing assets in the North Sea, where the company is a top producer. Potential buyers include private equity firms, the Journal noted.
Talks over the potential sale are still in early stages and there has been no value set.
BP stock was up slightly in premarket trading on Thursday morning.
Don't miss these top stories on TheStreet:
- Best Buy's Geek Squad Is a Mess According to Customer Reviews, Opening the Door for Amazon's Entry
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate Like Golden State Warriors Star Steph Curry
- Tesla Faces 3 Big Problems That Should Terrify Any Investor
- Jim Cramer Reveals When You Should Buy Nvidia Shares
- Starbucks Has an Alarming Problem That Even Its Fans Must Admit Has to Be Fixed -- and Soon!