BMO Capital upgraded Caterpillar Inc (CAT) - Get Report to "outperform" from "market perform" with a $125 price target based on earnings power that could propel the company's stock to a conceivable upside of $208 to $224, or roughly double its current stock price.
BMO said it thinks Caterpillar will lay out a five-year plan at an investor event in September detailing earnings that could approach BMO's $16 EPS forecast. Profit improvement will stem from three factors: cyclical recovery with potential company benefits, significant cost-cutting already underway and a new management team expected to focus on expanding profitability.
"We also see more runway for Caterpillar's cost-cutting initiatives of lowering headcount, improving sourcing and shuttering or consolidating more than 30 factories since initiating a large-scale restructuring plan in Q3 2015," BMO wrote.
Caterpillar stock traded 1.7% higher on Monday morning.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Walmart in Focus Amid 'Horrific' Human Trafficking Incident in Texas That Causes Nine Deaths
- Scaramucci Has Been Waiting For A White House Gig For A While
- Chipotle Is Doomed Unless It Takes This One Dramatic Measure
- Trump Just Resurrected the Ugly Practice Known as Civil Forfeiture for No Reason
- Billionaire Mark Cuban: The Rise of Technology Will Cause a Lot of Unemployment
- Game of Numbers: Do You Have Any Idea How Big Game of Thrones Has Become?