JPMorgan's Cory Kasimov and Jefferies' Biren Amin called Bluebird Bio (BLUE) - Get bluebird bio, Inc. Report the "star" of the weekend at the American Society of Hematology conference. Well, they've got another one in their camp: TheStreet's own Jim Cramer.
Speaking on CNBC's "Mad Dash" segment, Cramer pointed to the massive gains in Bluebird stock. Shares were up as much as 30% in premarket trading, but have since cooled to "just" 20%, with shares trading near $204 in Monday's regular session.
Bluebird has made some excellent progress in its CAR-T treatments and that gives reason for hope. While there is no proven cure for cancer, these immunotherapy treatments are showing a lot of promising technology, Cramer reasoned.
"Bluebird is a fabulous technology company" in the biotech industry, he said, adding that it is "the standout" from the ASH conference this year. Bluebird is coming up with some concrete breakthroughs with this technology and that's great. It's providing "good hope," not false hope, explained Cramer, who also manages the Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust portfolio.
- Despite Bluebird Bio's 17% Rally, Another 55% Surge Could Be Coming
- UnitedHealth in $4.9 Billion Deal to Buy DaVita Inc.'s Medical Unit
- Amazon's Crushing Schein and Patterson on New Dental Business
Goldman Sachs wasn't the only one to up its price target on Bluebird following its presentation, but it did give BLUE the highest target, at $309. Analysts rate it a conviction buy, with their price target implying about 50% upside.
Cramer also pointed out some other stock moves from the sector. Celgene (CELG) - Get Celgene Corporation Report is up 2.5% and BioMarin (BMRN) - Get BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. Report is up 7%, while Spark Therapeutics (ONCE) - Get Spark Therapeutics, Inc. Report is down a whopping 42%.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- GE Layoffs Are Yet Another Reason to Sell This Underperforming Industrial Stock
- Top 12 Stocks to Own Should Bitcoin Price Rally Continue
- Bitcoin Futures Launch Reveals Huge Holes in Global Cryptocurrency Pricing
- Bitcoin Is Bigger Than General Electric
At the time of publication, Cramer's Action Alerts PLUS had no position in any security mentioned.