Amazon.com (AMZN) - Get Report said on Tuesday that it is "very optimistic" Brexit will not impede its efforts to double the number of research and development specialists it's seeking to recruit in London, Sky News reports.
Amazon hiked the number of R&D workers it will hire to 900 for its UK headquarters in Shoreditch, an inner city district in East London. The new specialists will fill positions in software development, user-interface, data analysis and graphic design.
The e-commerce giant increased its hiring plans because it was given access to all 15 floors of the building, allowing it to hire a total of 5,000 corporate and R&D positions by the end of the year.
The new staff will mainly focus on new technologies for its Prime video service.
Sky News reported that the move was seen as a lift for the UK amid concerns the country will "be starved of access to talent from the continent after Brexit."
Watch More with TheStreet:
- Amazon Is a Long-Term Buy, Jim Cramer Says
- 5 Outrageously Expensive Jimmy Choo Shoes and Bags That Should Scare Coach
- Take a Look at Wall Street's Sexiest Terms
- Elon Musk and 3 Other Business Titans Say Artificial Intelligence Will Send You The Pink Slip
- Stephen Curry Makes What? These 6 Sports Contracts Will Blow Your Mind