Shares of Home Depot (HD) - Get Report and Lowe's (LOW) - Get Report were falling on Thursday morning after Amazon.com (AMZN) - Get Report and Sears (SHLD) announced that the department store retailer would begin selling its Kenmore brand appliances on the ecommerce website.
Watch: From Catalogs to Catastrophe: A Sears Timeline
Lowe's stock was down 6.1% to $72.14 on heavy trading volume early Thursday afternon, and Home Depot stock was sliding by 4.2% to $146.87.
Both Lowe's and Home Depot are retailers of large appliances including refrigerators, washers and dryers, and dishwashers.
Sears will be selling smart appliances on Amazon that can be synced up with Amazon's Alexa voice assistant.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Jim Cramer Reveals When You Should Buy Nvidia Shares
- Best Buy's Geek Squad Is a Mess According to Customer Reviews, Opening the Door for Amazon's Entry
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate Like Golden State Warriors Star Steph Curry
- Starbucks Has an Alarming Problem That Even Its Fans Must Admit Has to Be Fixed -- and Soon!
- Amazon Is Pure Madness: It's Going to Crush Almost Every Industry Alive and It Must Be Stopped