Florida and Texas residents will spend billions of dollars recovering from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, and stocks expert Stephen "Sarge" Guilfoyle sees a half-dozen or so names as great plays on the restoration efforts.
"People need timber, they need roofing material, they need insulation," Guilfoyle said during TheStreet's latest monthly Trading Strategies roundtable discussion with some of our top columnists. "I think it's not too late [to invest] because many [hurricane victims] probably haven't even ordered these materials yet."
Guilfoyle's top picks for hurricane-recovery plays include:
- Building-Supply Firms. Guilfoyle says home-insulation maker Owens Corning (OC) and lumber giant Weyerhauser (WY) should do well. He personally owns both stocks.
- Conglomerates with Building-Supply Divisions. The expert likes Honeywell International (HON) and United Technologies (UTX) , two diversified companies with divisions that make building supplies. Guilfoyle noted that United Technologies has recently been trading at about $110 a share -- down some $10 from a recent peak -- "so you can actually buy UTX probably at a decent price."
- Auto Stocks. The market watcher said car-related plays should do well as consumers replace vehicles damaged by floodwaters. "How many cars do they need to buy in Texas now?" Guilfoyle asked. "This is probably going to be good for the auto companies." His favorite automotive play is satellite-radio giant SiriusXM (SIRI) , which most subscribers use with their car radios.
- Valero Energy Corp. (VLO) . Guilfoyle bought shares of this Texas-based oil refiner ahead of Hurricane Harvey and said he "got lucky" when the firm weathered the storm fairly well. "Valero actually happened to be the one that came through with I think the least amount of damage when Hurricane Harvey hit Texas, which is kind of like 'Bubba Gump shrimp boat' success."
You can watch a full replay of the roundtable here. Or, read the latest investing recommendations from some of our top columnists below:
- Stephen "Sarge" Guilfoyle: Why I Love Apple, Nvidia and These Other Stocks for September
- Jim "RevShark" DePorre: Is a Nasty Market Correction Coming in September?
- Scott Gamm: Forget the Debt Ceiling and the Fed. Here's One Thing That Could Destroy Stocks in September
- David Yoe Williams: Here's Why Substantial Gains in Gold Prices Are Coming
- Douglas Borthwick: Why the Dollar Will Fall Even Further This Fall
- Peter Tchir: 5 Things Smart Investors Should Do in September
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Angry Birds Maker Prices IPO, Values Company at Whopping $1 Billion
- Google Hit With Gender Pay Discrimination Suit
- The Stunning Apple iPhone X Screen Will Trigger a Global Problem in This Market
- Why Tesla's October Tractor Trailer Reveal Will Cause Billionaire Buffett to Cry
Employees of TheStreet are restricted from trading individual securities.