Stocks are falling Thursday after news that Biden will seek a higher capital gains tax on the wealthy. The Dow is down over 250 points and the Nasdaq is down over 100 points amid trading.
Jim Cramer has a message to investors who became retail investors in the past year: The time of stocks just going up has ended. We're back to the market that baffles and you can blame the bond market.
Cramer shared in his Real Money column from Wednesday how investors should be playing the market with the reminder that for the time being, stocks won't keep going up. Many stocks are near all-time highs and it might make sense to start trimming.
Here is a recap of TheStreet's coverage for Thursday, Apr. 22:
- Stock Futures Fall as Wall Street Eyes Earnings and Virus Resurgence
- Credit Suisse Posts Loss From Archegos Meltdown
- Thursday's Earnings Calendar: AT&T, Intel and Snap
- Digital Sales Surge Boosts Chipotle Profit
- Ford to Extend Downtime at U.S. Plants Amid Chip Shortage
- Teradata (TDC) - Get Teradata Corporation Report | Increasing +29.26%
- AT&T (T) - Get AT&T Inc. Report | Increasing +3.75%
- Ford Motor (F) - Get Ford Motor Company Report | Increasing +2.39%
- American Airlines (AAL) - Get American Airlines Group Inc. Report | Increasing +2.62%
- Southwest Airlines (LUV) - Get Southwest Airlines Company Report | Increasing +2.39%
AT&T added nearly 600,000 wireless subscribers, along with 2.7 million new additions to its HBO Max streaming service, helping boost its bottom line past Wall Street forecasts.
Market Movers Amid Trading Thursday
- Lam Research (LRCX) - Get Lam Research Corporation Report | Decreasing -3.64%
- Equifax (EFX) - Get Equifax Inc. Report | Increasing +15.95%
- Danaher (DHR) - Get Danaher Corporation Report | Increasing +3.62%
- SolarEdge Technologies (SEDG) - Get SolarEdge Technologies Inc. Report | Increasing +8.20%
- Coinbase Global (COIN) - Get Coinbase Global Inc Report | Decreasing -4.99%
Cramer shared why he is watching Lam Research on Thursday and why its performance is important to the overall market.
Here is a recap of the latest stock market action including the top stock gainers, buy-the-dip candidates, volume leaders and advice from Jim Cramer from Wednesday, Apr. 21.
- Wellbilt (WBT) - Get Welbilt Inc. Report | +44.47% Increase
- Skillz (SKLZ) - Get Skillz Inc. Class A Report | +33.55% Increase
- Fisker (FSR) - Get Fisker Inc. Class A Report | +17.17% Increase
- Luminar Technologies (LAZR) - Get Luminar Technologies Inc. Report | +15.22% Increase
- OpenDoor Technologies (OPEN) - Get Opendoor Technologies Inc Report | +11.37% Increase
TheStreet looked at the top electric vehicle companies on Thursday including which companies could be competitors to Tesla. Cramer said if everything goes right Fisker could be the next Tesla.
- Netflix (NFLX) - Get Netflix Inc. Report | -7.40% Decrease
- Peloton Interactive (PTON) - Get Peloton Interactive Inc. Report | -8.53% Decrease
- Halliburton (HAL) - Get Halliburton Company Report | -6.59% Decrease
- Spotify Technology (SPOT) - Get Spotify Technology S.A. Report | -5.48% Decrease
- Oracle (ORCL) - Get Oracle Corporation Report | -5.45% Decrease
While many investors were quick to sell the reported weaker-than-expected results by Netflix that included a slowdown in subscriber growth, Cramer said he's taking the other side of the trade, and giving Netflix the benefit of the doubt.
Wednesday Volume Leaders
- Skillz (SKLZ) - Get Skillz Inc. Class A Report | 6,105,62 Shares Traded
- AT&T (T) - Get AT&T Inc. Report | 3,021,478 Shares Traded
- American Airlines (AAL) - Get American Airlines Group Inc. Report | 2,123,662 Shares Traded
- Fisker (FSR) - Get Fisker Inc. Class A Report | 1,780,241 Shares Traded
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Get Ford Motor Company Report | 1,275,225 Shares Traded
ARK Investment active ETFs added over 5 million shares of Skillz on Wednesday.
Best of Jim Cramer for Thursday
Morning Bell: Cramer discussed Apple's "Spring Loaded" event, semiconductor equipment maker ASML Holding and back-to-back selloffs in the market.
Stock Market Today: Cramer shared how to trade Netflix after earnings, the CFO's departure at Boeing and markets on Wednesday.
Mad Money Recap: Cramer told Mad Money viewers why the FAANG stocks get the benefit of the doubt, and why they deserve it.
Lightning Round: Cramer told viewers why he is bullish on Snap (SNAP) - Get Snap Inc. Class A Report, Boston Scientific (BSX) - Get Boston Scientific Corporation Report and Cleveland-Cliffs (CLF) - Get Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. Report.