NEW YORK (
) -- Home builder
was the best-performing stock in the
The S&P 500 fell 3.99 points, or 0.28%, to 1,412.52.
Shares of Lennar rose 4.66% to $27.63 on nearly three times average daily trading volume. The stock, which hit a 52-week high of $28.28 in intraday action, surged after the company reported first-quarter earnings that topped
Miami-based Lennar posted a profit of $15 million, or 8 cents a share, for the three months ended in February on revenue of $724.9 million. The average estimate of analysts polled by
was for earnings of 4 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $699.4 million.
Lennar shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 20.67X; the average for home construction companies is 23.86X. For comparison,
has a lower forward P/E of 18.82X;
forward P/E is 33.47X.
Thirteen of the 25 analysts who cover Lennar rate it at hold. Ten analysts give the stock a buy rating and two analysts rate it at sell.
gives Lennar a B- grade with a buy rating and a
price target. The stock has risen 40.61% year to date.
Other top-performing S&P 500 stocks on Tuesday included:
- FMC (FMC) - Get Report: The stock rose 4.51% Tuesday to $105.69. The stock has increased 22.84% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives FMC an A+ grade with a buy rating and $112.55 price target.
- Micron Technology (MU) - Get Report: The stock increased 3.94% Tuesday to $8.57. The stock has risen 36.33% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Micron Technology a C- grade with a hold rating.
- Juniper Networks (JNPR) - Get Report: The stock rose 3.78% Tuesday to $22.23. The stock has increased 8.92% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Juniper Networks a C+ grade and hold rating.
- JDS Uniphase (JDSU) : The stock increased 3.28% Tuesday to $14.79. The stock has risen 41.67% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives JDS Uniphase a C grade and hold rating.
- PulteGroup (PHM) - Get Report: The stock rose 3.07% Tuesday to $9.06. The stock has increased 43.58% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives PulteGroup a D+ grade and sell rating.
- Tripadvisor (TRIP) - Get Report: The stock increased 2.89% Tuesday to $35.29. The stock has risen 39.98% year to date.
- Sears Holdings (SHLD) : The stock rose 2.41% Tuesday to $73.50. The stock has increased 131.28% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Sears Holdings a D grade and sell rating.
- CSX (CSX) - Get Report: The stock rose 2.37% Tuesday to $22.06. The stock has increased 4.75% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives CSX a B+ grade with a buy rating and $24.28 price target.
- SuperValu (SVU) : The stock has increased 2.3% Tuesday to $6.23. The stock has fallen 23.28% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives SuperValu a D+ grade and sell rating.
Written by Alexandra Zendrian in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here:
>To submit a news tip, send an email to:
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to