BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) - Get Report has reported quarterly results.

Quarterly Synopsis

: HP's fiscal first-quarter GAAP net income rose 16% to $2.6 billion and earnings advanced 26% to $1.17, boosted by a smaller float. Net sales ascended 4% past $32 billion. The operating margin widened from 9.6% to nearly 11%. Free cash flow increased 28% during the quarter to $3.1 billion. Americas and Europe revenue, adjusted for currency, rose 5% and 4%, respectively. The best geographic region was emerging markets, whose sales jumped 11%, accounting for 11% of total sales. Enterprise, servers, networking and software was the best-performing business unit, having grown sales 22% year-over-year, with a 15% operating margin.

Earnings Performance

: HP's adjusted earnings increased 24% to $1.36, beating analysts' consensus estimate by 5.7%. By comparison, HP has an average earnings beat rate of 5% and has beaten expectations in eight consecutive quarters. Its adjusted top-line inched up to $32 billion, missing consensus by 2%. By comparison, HP has an average sales beat rate of 1.6%. It beat in the six previous quarters.

Dividend Information

: HP pays a quarterly dividend of eight cents, converting to a modest yield of 0.8%. The dividend hasn't grown since 1998.

Analyst Opinions

: Currently, 28, or 74%, of the analysts covering HP rate its stock "buy", eight rank it "hold" and two rate it "sell." The stock has a median target of $55.24.

Citigroup

, Buy, $70 Target

Sanford Bernstein

, Outperform, $63 Target

JPMorgan

, Overweight, $57 Target

Barclays

, Overweight, $53 Target

Deutsche Bank

, Hold, $45 Target

Goldman Sachs

, Sell, $38 Target

Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.