Here are three things you must know at midday on Wednesday, Dec. 6:
Why the change by the world's largest retailer?
"Our customers know us as Walmart and today they shop with us not only in our stores but online and with our app as well," said Doug McMillon, Walmart's president and CEO. "While our legal name is used in a limited number of places, we felt it was best to have a name that was consistent with the idea that you can shop us however you like as a customer."
2. -- A big deal in the healthcare space was announced Wednesday: UnitedHealth Group Inc. (UNH) - Get Report said it would buy DaVita Inc.'s (DVA) - Get Report medical unit and combine it with its Optum division as it expands into ambulatory care delivery systems.
UnitedHealth will pay just under $5 billion for the DaVita unit.
Optum will pair with DaVita in a deal that adds to its 1.7 million patient base and 300 medical clinics that feature primary and specialist care. OptumCare has around 80 health plans that work through 30,000 affiliated physicians. The deal is valued and $4.9 billion and will be paid in cash.
DaVita shares gained more than 11% midday Wednesday. UnitedHealth rose 0.5%.
The deal is just the latest in unusual healthcare combinations. CVS Health Corp. CVS this week said it would pay $69 billion to buy Aetna Inc. (AET) in an effort to offer more complete healthcare solutions to consumers.
CEO Jack Dorsey -- who's also the CEO of Twitter Inc. -- tweeted on Tuesday, "Turning on Bitcoin for a lot more cash app folks right now."
And speaking of bitcoin: The cryptocurrency smashed through $12,000 for the first time on Tuesday, just a week after breaking through $10,000. At last check, bitcoin was trading at $12,587.
What's more astounding is that bitcoin was trading below $1,000 at the start of the year.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Alibaba Just Found a Novel Way to Use Your Face
- Why Sprint Plans to Spend More Than $5 Billion to Bolster Its Network
- Cramer Goes 'Off the Charts' on Facebook, Apple and Netflix
- Meal Kits Are Already Selling Out on Walmart.com