NEW YORK (
) - Shares of
were among the worst-performers in the
The S&P 500 declined 5.3 points, or 0.39%, to 1,364.33 on Monday.
Shares of First Solar dropped 6.46% to $28.08 on volume of 10.8 million.
The solar stock hit a
Monday of $27.50. The stock's 52-week high of $163 was set on April 1.
First Solar has been having problems with its
in intense heat. The company is also being investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for possible violations of
First Solar shares trade at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 6.3X; the average for renewable energy equipment companies is 9.87X. For comparison,
has a higher forward P/E of 12.2X.
Twenty-six of the 40 analysts who cover First Solar rate it at hold. Seven analysts give the stock a buy rating and another seven rate it at sell.
gives the stock a C- grade and hold rating. The stock has fallen 16.82% year to date.
MetroPCS shares fell 5.68% to $9.96. The stock was downgraded to market perform from
by Sanford Bernstein on Monday.
MetroPCS shares trade at a forward price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 9.19X; the average for mobile telecommunications companies is 18.76X. For comparison, both
have higher forward P/Es of 10.22X and 31.98X, respectively.
Seventeen of the 30 analysts who cover MetroPCS rate it at hold. Twelve analysts give the stock a buy rating and one rates it at sell.
gives MetroPCS a B- grade with a buy rating and $12.55 price target. The stock has risen 14.75% year to date.
Other S&P 500 laggards Monday include:
- Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) : The stock fell 6.03% Monday to $16.35. The stock has dropped 19.97% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Alpha Natural Resources a C grade and hold rating.
- CF Industries (CF) - Get CF Industries Holdings, Inc. Report: The stock dropped 5.46% Monday to $177.98. The stock has risen 22.76% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives CF Industries a B- grade with a buy rating and $231.99 price target.
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) - Get Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Report: The stock fell 5.23% Monday to $7.07. The stock has risen 30.93% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Advanced Micro Devices a C grade and hold rating.
- Micron Technology (MU) - Get Micron Technology, Inc. Report: The stock dropped 5.15% Monday to $8.20. The stock has increased 30.37% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Micron Technology a C- grade and hold rating.
- Supervalu (SVU) : The stock fell 5.13% Monday to $6.10. The stock has fallen 24.88% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Supervalu a D+ grade and sell rating.
- Teradyne (TER) - Get Teradyne, Inc. Report: The stock dropped 4.97% Monday to $15.31. The stock has risen 12.33% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Teradyne a B- grade with a buy rating and $18.85 price target.
- United States Steel (X) - Get United States Steel Corporation Report: The stock fell 4.73% Monday to $26.21. The stock ticked down 25 cents year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives United States Steel a D+ grade and sell rating.
- Peabody Energy (BTU) - Get Peabody Energy Corporation Report: The stock dropped 4.32% Monday to $31.47. The stock has fallen 4.95% year to date. TheStreet Ratings gives Peabody Energy a C+ grade and hold rating.
Written by Alexandra Zendrian in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here:
>To submit a news tip, send an email to:
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to