One of President Donald Trump's personal valets reportedly has tested positive for the coronavirus.
CNN reported on Thursday that a member of the U.S. Navy who serves as one of President Trump's personal valets has tested positive for Covid-19.
The White House confirmed in a statement that CNN's reporting that a valet had tested positive was accurate.
The valets are members of an elite military unit dedicated to the White House and often work very close to the president and first family. According to CNN, Trump was upset when he was informed Wednesday that the valet had tested positive, and was subsequently tested for the disease again by the White House physician.
"We were recently notified by the White House Medical Unit that a member of the United States Military, who works on the White House campus, has tested positive for Coronavirus," deputy White House press secretary Hogan Gidley said in a statement. "The President and the Vice President have since tested negative for the virus and they remain in great health."
A White House source told CNN that the valet, a man who has not been identified, exhibited "symptoms" Wednesday morning, and said the news that someone close to Trump had tested positive for coronavirus was "hitting the fan" in the West Wing.
Wall Street registered little reaction to the news, with stocks rising amid news that U.S. and Chinese negotiators could meet as soon as next week to discuss their trade agreement, and as U.S. jobless claims trended lower.
Trump earlier this week made his first appearance outside the White House in more than two months, visiting a Honeywell (HON) - Get Honeywell International Inc. (HON) Report factory in Arizona that has switched to making N95 masks and hand sanitizer amid the coronavirus outbreak.
However, the president received negative feedback after not publicly sporting a mask.
- Jim Cramer: I Would Like to Buy More CVS
- Jim Cramer: Beyond Meat Is Building Into Multi-Billion Dollar Company
- Jim Cramer: Disney Cutting Dividend Says It Means Business, Jim Cramer Says
- Jim Cramer: Oil Will Recover In the Long-Term, Jim Cramer Says
- Stocks Struggle to Gain Traction: What Wall Street’s Saying
- Plunge in Travel Due to Coronavirus Pandemic Leads to Massive Tech Company Layoffs
- Looking for a Job? These Sectors Are Hiring Amid the Coronavirus
- Ask Bob: I Was Furloughed. Under the CARES Act, Do I Still Need to Pay My 401(k) Loans?
- Kitco News: Gold Market Due for 'Very Dramatic Recovery' Says Rick Rule
- From the C-Suite: What Crunch Fitness CEO Jim Rowley's Mom Taught Him About Leadership