Hacking is not a new phenomenon in the world of computer and internet technologies.
So, what happens when hackers steal cryptocurrencies?
Here are the top five cryptocurrency heists:
- On Aug. 10, Blockchain site Poly Network said that more than $600 million was stolen by hackers
- In 2018, Tokyo-based cryptocurrency trading exchange Coincheck lost around $538 million in a hack.
- In 2014, an estimated $450 million worth of bitcoin was stolen by hackers from Tokyo-based Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox, which is now bankrupt.
- In 2018, Italian exchange BitGrail, which is now defunct, lost about 17 million Nano tokens in a hack that cost them around $170 million.
- In 2016, Hong Kong-based cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex lost over 120,000 bitcoin over a hack.