Doug Kass shares his views every day on RealMoneyPro. Click here for a real-time look at his insights and musings.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Early Afternoon Edition)
Originally published March 23 at 3:41 p.m. EST
As I will shortly be leaving, there will be no "Takeaways." So, moving to the abbreviated "Monarch Notes" with
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Here's a quick review of the day's market action (at least before the healthcare vote was delayed):
* Off of the PVH (PVH) - Get Report beat, retailers are trading better - led by Home Depot (HD) - Get Report , Foot Locker
(FL) - Get Report and Nike (NKE) - Get Report .
* Rs (The Russell) over Ss and Ns.
* Financials (especially of a Goldman-kind (GS) - Get Report ) in a possible "dead cat bounce."
* Allergan (AGN) - Get Report gets jiggy.
* Lumber +$4/
* Snap (SNAP) - Get Report is, well, snappy.
* Campbell Soup (CPB) - Get Report up a beaner on a $1.5 billion repurchase announcement.
* DuPont (DD) - Get Report continues DuLovely.
* Radian (RDN) - Get Report back up after some recent weakness
* Berkshire (BRK.A) - Get Report near all time highs with a solid gain today.
* [iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate] (IYR) - Get Report (REITs) with a solid gain.
* Homebuilders a bit higher after a strong rally over the last month.
* Gold -$5. But the yellow metal has had a great run over the last few weeks. (The failure of the junior miners to rally continues to rattle me. GDJX and JNUG down again)
* Auto stocks lower on Ford's (F) - Get Report preannouncement.
* "Value trap" Gilead Sciences (GILD) - Get Report makes another new low.
Position: Long DD small, RDN large, AGN large, CPB large; Short SPY small, IWM small, QQQ small, IYR small GS .
Caterpillar Sales Aren't the CAT's Meow
Originally published March 20 at 10:24 a.m. EST
Total Machines (February 2017 vs. January 2017)
- Asia Pacific+39% versus +26%
- EAME: -3% vs -13%
- Latin America: -21% vs -29%
- North America: -10% vs -13%
- World: -1% vs -8%
Total Energy & Transportation (February 2017 vs. January 2017)
- Power Gen -13% vs -15%
- Industrial -11% vs -7%
- Transportation -15% vs -15%
- Oil and gas -3% vs -8%
- Total -9% vs -11%
Position: Short CAT small .
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer manages as a charitable trust, is long GOOGL and AGN.