Here are five things you must know for Wednesday, Dec. 27:
1. -- U.S. stock futures traded slightly higher on Wednesday, Dec. 27, and European shares were mixed amid a rally in global commodities.
Copper and oil prices tested multi-year highs following stronger-than-expected import data this week from China that suggested a robust start to 2018 growth. Copper rallied to three-year highs.
Crude oil traded in the U.S. fell 0.8% early Wednesday to $59.49 a barrel but had jumped 2.6% on Tuesday following news of a pipeline explosion in Libya.
Stocks ended the session on Tuesday, Dec. 26, to the downside after Apple Inc. ( AAPL) tumbled 2.5% following a report from Taiwan's Economic Daily suggesting that demand for the iPhone X could be softer than expected in the first quarter.
Apple shares were rebounding slightly in premarket trading, up 0.1% to $170.74, from one of their worst trading days of the year.
The Nasdaq fell 0.34% to 6,936 on Tuesday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 0.03% to 24,746 and the S&P 500 declined 0.11% to 2,680.
If you'd like to receive the free "5 Things You Must Know" newsletter, please register here.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Wednesday includes Consumer Confidence for December at 10 a.m. ET, and the Pending Home Sales Index for November at 10 a.m.
3. -- Royal Dutch Shell PLC ( RDS.A) said Wednesday that it expects the new U.S. tax law will have a "favorable" impact on its operations, but said it will incur a charge of $2 billion to $2.5 billion in the fourth quarter from a re-measurement of its deferred tax position to reflect the lower corporate income tax rate of 21%.
Shell shares were down 0.02% in premarket trading.
Chubb Ltd. ( CB) said it expects a one-time benefit of more than $250 million in the fourth quarter from the new U.S. tax law.
Chubb rose 1.5% in after-hours trading on Tuesday.
This story has been updated from 5:50 a.m. ET.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Our Holiday Gift to You! 14 of Jim Cramer's AAP Picks
- How Bitcoin $50,000 by the End of 2018 Could Happen
- The 25 Biggest Tech Stories of 2017
- 25 Great Holiday Beers For Your Winter Fridge