Slowing Sensation at Cingular
Cingular is showing signs of thinning at the top.
Cingular added 867,000 net new subscribers in the third quarter ended last month, well below the 1 million or more analysts were looking for. And the company's defection rate, or churn, increased 10 basis points from the previous quarter to 2.3%. The company is the nation's largest cell phone service with 52.3 million subscribers.
Financially, the telco was a little more solid, posting earnings of $222 million on service revenue of $7.7 billion. That compares with a profit of $147 million on the same amount of service revenue a year earlier. On an adjusted basis, excluding one-time charges, net income rose to $504 million from $317 million in the second quarter. Average revenue per user in the third quarter was flat with the prior period at $49.65.Some observers see Cingular's slowing subscriber growth as a sign that the industry itself may be finally reaching a plateau. With two of every three people in the U.S. already owning cell phones, the pool of new customers has nearly been drained. But some investors saw it is an encouraging sign that despite the cooling trend, Cingular managed to widen its margins a bit. "Next Wednesday, October 26, marks the first anniversary of Cingular's life as the largest wireless company in the United States, and our third-quarter results show once again that we are making solid progress delivering on the promise of the merger," said CEO Stan Sigman in a press release Wednesday. Cingular's smaller-than-expected net subscriber numbers may also reflect the company's effort to clean out some of the miscounted customers that have
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV