LookSmart Plunges After Microsoft Bails
Updated from Oct. 6
LookSmart shares plunged 58% following Monday's postclose announcement. LookSmart conceded that its "business and financial results will be materially and adversely affected following the end of the MSN relationship. Microsoft accounted for approximately 65% of listings revenue and all of LookSmart's licensing revenue in the second quarter of 2003.
"At this time," the company added, "LookSmart is not revising its revenue and earnings guidance for the full-year 2003, given that the MSN agreement runs through Jan. 15, 2004."The Internet search business has been in flux throughout 2003, as rumors have had Microsoft looking to move more forcefully into the fast-growing paid-search arena. That talk picked up in earnest this summer after the industry's leader, Overture (OVER), agreed to be acquired by Yahoo! (YHOO). On Tuesday, the America Online unit of AOL Time Warner (AOL) expanded its relationship with closely held search industry star Google. LookSmart sought to strike a hopeful note amid the misery. "We are very disappointed with the outcome of efforts to renew our agreement with Microsoft," said Chief Executive Jason Kellerman. "Despite losing a key partner, LookSmart will maintain its focus on the search business." LookSmart shares dropped $1.80 to $1.22.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV