Swoosh! There It Is. In Fact, Swooshlike Logos Are Everywhere
The Internet is supposed to be the cradle of innovation. So why do four out of five dot-coms have virtually the same logo?
Yes, it's true. A tireless investigation by TheStreet.com reveals that most Net companies -- you know, those groundbreaking birthplaces of revolutionary ideas -- behave like sheep when it comes to designing the graphics that represent their corporate identity.
Start looking at the bottom of full-page ads in
The Wall Street Journal, or check out your handy-dandy collection of Internet executives' business cards, and you'll see It. And you'll see
It again and again.
What exactly is It?
Call up any graphic designer, and he or she will tell you. Ask Richard Lubbers, of Web-logo designer HitSpring, for example, if he notices any, um, common element among Internet logos.Without any prompting, Lubbers instantly identifies It. It's obvious to him. Painfully so. It's that arc you see everywhere. That partial ellipse. That space-age boomerang. "It's either kind of a Nike swoosh or an orbit kind of a theme," he says. "It's such a cliche." Lubbers says clients request this peculiar curve all the time for their logos. "But I try to steer them away from that, if possible," he says, "because the look is so saturated." Yes, the swoosh is everywhere. You got your swooshes on the left.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV