Dirty Thirty: Part 1 -- Outer Space or the Molten Core?
Editor's note: This series by James J. Cramer and Gary B. Smith examines the first 30 dot-com companies to go public. Cramer diagnoses how each company has weathered the sector's storms, while Smith charts their progress using technical analysis. Together, they offer a thorough, if abbreviated, sketch of the dot-com pioneers. Look for more on these stocks on Monday.
As a special treat (except to the shareholders of many of the following stocks!), I'm going to do the TA work today, Monday and Tuesday, to complement Lord Cramer's fundamental look at the first 30 Internet stocks to achieve liftoff.
Alas, like the early days of our own space program, many -- oh heck, most -- of these stocks have plummeted back to Earth. In fact, many hit terra firma months ago and are now working their way toward the molten core!
No matter, though, TA is completely impartial and by looking at these stocks maybe we can learn a few things. So, get those air sickness bags ready, 'cause here we go ...
Watch Gary B. Smith and Silicon Valley columnist Adam Lashinsky face-off at the first RealMoney conference, live in New York, June 28. The challenge: technical analysis vs. fundamental research. Says Gary: "Technical Analysis rules, especially when my adversary is the pitiful Adam Lashinsky. Don't believe me? Then come watch me square off with him." -- Gary B. Smith Says Adam: "Because I research *facts* about companies, I almost never agree with Gary B., who practices a form of voodoo called technical analysis. But when we get into the ring together, innocent bystanders generally enjoy themselves." -- Adam Lashinsky Surviving and Profiting in Treacherous Markets June 28, 2000, Marriott World Trade Center, New York City For information and registration, go to RealMoney Conferences.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV