Bond Duration and Convexity: Practical Application
Check out this graph: It shows how duration increases with maturity, depending on the size of the coupon. As you can see, the smaller the coupon, the longer the duration.
Got all that? Ready to become a bond trader? Not so fast. As a bond ages, its duration shortens. Every time the investor receives a coupon payment, one bucket gets taken away, and the extra plank gets sawed off. The fulcrum must move to the right from where it was, but because the plank is shorter, so is the duration.
Another complication: As a bond's price and yield fluctuate, so does its duration. As the yield drops, the duration lengthens; as the yield rises, the duration shortens. Here's why: Recall that yield is the rate used to discount the bond's future payments to calculate their present value. As the yield drops, the present value of the payments rises, with the value of the payments furthest in the future rising the most proportionally. So to rebalance the system, the fulcrum would move to the right, indicating a longer duration. Likewise, as the yield rises, the present value of the payments declines, with the value of those furthest in the future declining the most proportionally. To rebalance the system, the fulcrum would move to the left, indicating a shorter duration.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV