Which 30-Year Treasury Bond Does Everyone Quote?
When newscasters like those on CNBC report price changes and yields for "the 30-year Treasury bond," exactly what bond -- or is it a group of bonds -- are they reporting on? Obviously there are a great many 30-year Treasury bonds, with all kinds of maturity dates, etc.
-- Preston Kelly
Whenever newscasters report the price and yield of the 30-year Treasury bond without specifying which one, they are talking about the most recent 30-year bond issued by the Treasury. Our ticker quotes the price and yield of that bond, which is the one to which we are referring in our markets coverage when we write "the benchmark 30-year Treasury bond" or "the long Treasury bond."A little terminology may be helpful here: Besides the 30-year bond, there are three other Treasury benchmarks: the 10-year note, the five-year note and the two-year note. In each case, when you hear one quoted in a news report, the report is (or should be) quoting the most recent issue. Traders refer to the most recent benchmarks as the active issues or as the on-the-run issues. Older issues are termed off-the-run. The Treasury issues a new 30-year bond three times a year, in February, August and November, as part of what's called the quarterly refunding. There's a quarterly refunding in May as well. At all four refundings under the current scheme, new five- and 10-year notes are issued. A new two-year note is issued every month. For more information on the issues, the Bureau of the Public Debt's Web site lists bond and note auctions over the past year, with additional history available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV