NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Facebook's (FB) Mark Zuckerberg is planning for a future that looks a lot like the movie Minority Report. Investors on StockTwits.com aren't thrilled with the company's leap into science fiction.
The social networking giant announced late Tuesday that it will acquire virtual-reality headset maker Oculus VR for $2 billion. In a conference call discussing the mostly stock deal, Zuckerberg described the purchase as a "long term bet on the future of computing."
Oculus is currently focused on games. But Zuckerberg sees a future where virtual reality devices are the way people interact with the Internet. Instead of mobile devices buzzing in pockets, people will have wearable virtual reality technology, perhaps embedded in fashionable eyeglasses like Google's (GOOG) coming product Google Glass.Facebook shares opened in the red Wednesday morning and fell 1.7% by 10:30 a.m. Eventually Facebook shares were down 6.9% at close. Ouch. Investors worried that the purchase, for $400 million in cash and 23.1 Million shares of Facebook valued at $1.6 billion, was far overvalued -- especially given that it's unlikely to make money for Facebook in the short term.
(FB) Anybody remember the Facebook phone? Oculus Rift will be another similar fail for Facebook. Working in a wrong direction -- Sergey (@vermut) Mar. 26 at 09:29 AM
When the market go to bust cycle (FB) and (YHOO) will wish they had not wasted so much $ and (AAPL) will be sitting pretty. -- Clinton (@ClintonSPX) Mar. 26 at 09:20 AM"The bear camp believes that the recent multi-billion dollar acquisitions in the industry indicate that we have jumped the shark, indicating a mini bubble in valuation," wrote SunTrust's Robert Peck in a note to investors Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV