NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of King Digital Entertainment (KING), maker of the game Candy Crush, plummeted more than 11% by 11a.m. New York time on the first day of trading. Cashtaggers on StockTwits.com worried that the firm, which has one blockbuster game, didn't warrant the $7 billion valuation implied by its $22.50-per-share price.
With 22.2 million shares at $22.50-per-share, Candy Crush was valued higher than game-maker Take-Two Interactive, (TTWO), and about 20% less than game giant EA Games, (EA). King raised about $500 million in the offering. The IPO was hotly anticipated by many investors. King's Candy Crush Saga was the top downloaded app in 2013. The game is free to start but charges players for extra lives.
King brought in $632 million in revenues, largely from Candy Crush, last year, according to an SEC filing. The company had a 44% profit margin and 324 million monthly users as of the end of last year. Some cashtaggers said profits alone made King worth the money. The company grew from a $1 million loss at the beginning of 2012 to a $159 million profit in the fourth quarter of 2013. Other highly valued companies, such as Twitter with its $26.18 billion market capitalization, are not yet profitable on an annual basis.
But many cashtaggers argued Wednesday that neither King, nor other recent IPOs, warranted the hype. They said investors are weary of IPO insanity. Renaissance Capital says 2014 is on track to have more IPOs than in more than a decade.
$KING tech bubble in the making, inflated valuations are rampant....its not an if, its a when... it will all fall down -- Ian (@theMarlin) Mar. 26 at 11:22 AM
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV