NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- China is looking to lead from the front in the mobile telecoms market, and is trying hard to position China Mobile (CHL) as the leading mobile telecommunications network in Asia.
While the West and Europe have been enjoying 4G Internet services for quite some time, China is only now starting to awaken from its slumber. The government is pushing hard to develop high-speed Internet facilities for mobile users.
As one might expect, the construction of telecom towers in the world's second-largest economy dwarfs the total number of 4G towers in all of Europe. This is impressive given that the number of mobile devices in use in China now numbers close to 1 billion.
Android Dominates the Low End
A report recently released by Umeng (an analytics company in China) tabulated some interesting statistics on Chinese smartphone and tablet usage.
For one, some 35% of tablets and smartphones purchased in China cost less than $149 while 22% of sales for smartphones and tablets cost between $150 and $329, and 16% of smartphones and tablets sold ranged in price between $330 and $499.
That may well be a harbinger of what's to come for global telecommunications enterprises like Apple Inc. and Android. Brett Chatz is a graduate of the University of South Africa, and holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree, with Economics and Strategic management as his major subjects. Chatz is a contributor at Intertrader. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned, although positions may change at any time. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV