Will the Chinese Renminbi Become the New Dollar?
NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- As topics go it's a pretty hot one and frequently debated in the foreign exchange community: Just when will the Chinese renminbi -- also known as the yuan -- becomes fully convertible and freely tradable?
This has been vexing the minds of academics, politicians and FX market participants alike.
While it took the U.S. dollar around four decades to replace the sterling as a global reserve currency, the pundits are speculating the renminbi could become fully convertible within the next few years and a base currency for commodities. The signs bode well, albeit with caveats.
By then it could be one of the world's most traded currencies and on a par with the U.S. dollar and euro. Currently, the renminbi's value is pegged against the U.S. dollar, allowing only modest changes. It is measured against a basket of currencies, mainly the dollar, the euro, Japanese yen and South Korean won. The daily trading price of the renminbi against the dollar is only allowed to float within a narrow band of 0.5%.
Nevertheless, some might have a feeling of deja vu given the Chinese authorities attempted to make the currency fully convertible before in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But with the onset of the Asian financial crisis those plans were seriously postponed in 1996 and made Chinese policy makers extremely cautious.
Chinese policy makers fear that a nationwide liberalization of capital and currency controls would spark a cash exodus. Indeed, according to a recent Hurun report 44% of Chinese individuals holding over RMB10 million (c.U.S.$1.65 million) in their names have plans to emigrate. Hot money flows are also a concern, whereby money is invested to reap short-term profits on interest rate differences between countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV