NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Commentary from the Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen and consumer-confidence data will be the focus this week as the heavy part of earnings season has come to an end.
Yellen is scheduled to testify in front of U.S. lawmakers on Thursday after a Senate panel previously canceled the original hearing due to a snowstorm in Washington.
She is expected to reiterate the minutes from the Fed's January meeting that policymakers expect the economy will expand at a moderate pace in coming quarters and the central bank will continue to pare its massive bond-buying program.
Also on tap: the final February reading on consumer sentiment from the University of Michigan this Friday.Consumer-confidence data will provide insight into whether the outlook of consumers has materially changed and if recent weakness in labor and manufacturing figures are the result of winter weather storms. (SPY) is trading below the 185 level, recovering almost 7% since early February, but has felt selling pressure the past few days. SPY data by YCharts At the time of publication, the author held no positions in the fund mentioned. Follow @macroinsights This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV