Minutes of the Fed's January gathering showed that policymakers favored continuing to reduce bond purchases by $10 billion per month unless the economy swerves from its current path upward.
While recent U.S. housing and labor market data have come in below estimates, the weather has been blamed for the misses, and policymakers don't seem to view the weakness as a major shift in the economy's trend higher.
Another dilemma highlighted by the minutes is the trade-off between the unemployment rate and inflation.The Fed planned to keep interest rates near zero until the U.S. unemployment rate fell below 6.5%, which should happen during the next few months. But inflation remains under the central bank's 2% target. U.S. producer prices released Tuesday increased just 1.2% during the past 12 months. With questions still lingering within the Fed over how future problems will be handled, U.S. equities have lost some upside momentum. (UUP) and the SPDR S&P 500 are offering resistance. SPDR S&P 500 has recovered sharply higher after selling pressure the past few months. The increase led the index back to record highs, but a major catalyst is needed if prices are going to break above 185. Similarly, PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish sold off as iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT) was bid higher by anxious global investors, reducing long-term interest rates. SPY data by YCharts
At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the funds mentioned. Follow @macroinsights This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV