Dot-Com Bubble Has Burst, Lunacy Continues
That almost makes the whole thing seem neat and tidy. It isn't.
Analyst 'Scandal' Update
CSFB jawboned about its "ongoing commitment" to independence, integrity and objectivity. That's a good shorthand way of acknowledging that independence, integrity and objectivity haven't been high on the agenda before now.Meanwhile, yet another new study on Regulation FD (for "fair disclosure"), suggests that the much-hated regulation hasn't caused additional market volatility after all. Academics at Purdue University's Krannert Graduate School of Management and the University of Southern California's Marshall School of Business have concluded that, contrary to the conventional wisdom spewed by Reg FD's opponents, stock prices actually have been moving less after earnings announcements than before Reg FD was enacted in October. That's because the news preannouncements that diverge from Wall Street's expectations tend to send stocks toward their correct level before the actual earnings announcements. The study was reported this week by the Dow Jones Newswires. Given that the report is an empirical look at the effects of Reg FD, it's likely to be a powerful counterbalance to the securities industry's gut feeling that Reg FD is harmful. Finally, it's time for more hearings on this sordid subject, and once again the gubmint wants to hear from the TheStreet.com. Rep. Richard Baker, the Republican from Louisiana who chairs the House Financial Services Subcommittee on capital markets, will hold round two of its investigations into conflicts of interest between analysts and their investment banking colleagues. The hearings are scheduled for the afternoon of Tuesday, July 31, and the committee has asked me to share my thoughts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV