Drugmakers Follow Merck, Schering-Plough Lower
Pharmaceutical companies were down across the board on Friday following bleak news coming out of the sector.
(MRK) warned of an
Additionally, Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, the pharmaceuticals unit of American Home Products (AHP), said it has received a not-approvable letter from the FDA for a treatment for acute long-bone fractures. The agency's letter focused on the design of the clinical study and the interpretation of the clinical data. Shares of AHP were off 2.2% to $60.83 in afternoon market activity.
Others in the sector were also moving downward. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) was off 0.6% to $56.55, and Pfizer (PFE) lost 4.2% to $43. AstraZeneca (AZN) dropped 1.4% to $49.20, and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) fell 1.6% to $54.45.Novartis (NVS) was off 4.7% to $34.98. Aventis (AVE) slipped 0.4% to $78.32, while Pharmacia (PHA) slid 5% to $48.93. Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) lost 2.5% to $51.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV