On Tap Today: Will Investors Get Dressed Down in Today's Retail Sales Report?
Headlining today's scheduled events is the release of the May retail sales report. The retail data, which measure the total number of sales at retail businesses, are used to predict personal consumption trends and make up a significant portion of the gross domestic product; it typically moves markets.
The Labor Department's Import Price Index for May is also slated for release. Economists consider the figures to be only a fraction of the total inflation picture. As a result, it has little effect on trading activity.
(Forecasts are from Reuters. Times are Eastern. For a longer-term economic calendar and more, see TSC's Economic Databank.)
- 7 a.m.: Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ended June 8 -- Refinancing index. Source:
Mortgage Bankers Association. Forecast: n.a. Previous: 1553.6. Purchase index: Forecast: n.a. Previous: 344.1. 8:30 a.m.: Retail sales for May. Source:
Census Bureau. Forecast: +0.2%. Previous: +1.1%. Ex-autos: Forecast: +0.4%. Previous: +0.8% 8:30 a.m.: Import Price Index for May. Source:
Department of Labor. Forecast: n.a. Previous: -0.5%. Export Price Index: Forecast: n.a. Previous: unchgd. 2 p.m.: Beige Book . The Fed's anecdotal report on economic conditions around the country is for consideration at the Federal Open Market Committee meeting. 6:30 p.m.: Consumer Comfort Index for the week ended June 9. Source: ABC News and Money Magazine. Forecast: n.a. Previous: 3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV