On Tap Today: Initial Jobless Claims, National Semiconductor Earnings
National Semiconductor (NSM), a maker of microprocessors, is scheduled to report its quarterly numbers today. Analysts expect the company to post a fourth-quarter loss of 3 cents a share, which would be a dramatic decline from the year-ago quarter in which it earned 68 cents a share.
Ahead of the earnings report, the Santa Clara, Calif., company also said it would acquire Swedish mobile-phone maker Wireless Solutions in a deal worth about $23.5 million.
In economic news, the initial jobless claims report is due out before the bell. The data provide a snapshot of labor market conditions and could factor in during today's trading session.
(Forecasts are from Reuters. Times are Eastern. For a longer-term economic calendar and more, see TSC's Economic Databank.)
- 8:30 a.m.: Initial Jobless Claims for the week ended June 2. Source:
Labor Department. Forecast: 417,000. Previous: 419,000. Four-week average: Forecast: n.a. Previous: 402,500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV