On Tap Today: Initial Jobless Claims, Costco Earnings
After yesterday's carnage in tech land, the market will look to get back on its feet. The initial jobless claims report is due out before the opening bell. This indicator should provide further clues as to the nature of Friday's employment report . The number of claims has risen 30% over the course of the last year.
As for earnings news, wholesale retailer Costco (COST) issues its quarterly results today. According to research firm Thomson Financial/First Call, analysts expect the company to post third-quarter earnings of 23 cents a share, which would be down 3 cents from the year-ago quarter.
(Forecasts are from Reuters. Times are Eastern. For a longer-term economic calendar and more, see TSC's Economic Databank.)
- 8:30 a.m.: Initial jobless claims for the week ended May 25. Source:
Labor Department. Forecast: 405,000. Previous: 407,000. Four-week average: Forecast: n.a. Previous: 403,000. 10 a.m.: Help-Wanted Index for April. Source:
Conference Board. Forecast: n.a. Previous: 66.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV