JPMorgan Tech Conference: Ciena Puts On a Happy Face for Investors
SAN FRANCISCO -- Ciena (CIEN) is not prepared to wipe that smile off its face. The optical network equipment maker stayed away from offering happy numbers at the JPMorgan H&Q conference, but its mood was relentlessly upbeat.
But Ciena's growing revenue line? No change there. Smith is perky as can be. Ciena hasn't been hit by the sadness drowning the spirits of Cisco (CSCO) and Nortel (NT). The Ciena attitude has been unflaggingly positive, because those carriers can't buy everything, and the company believes they'll buy Ciena. If you can only spend so much, spend on future, next-generation systems, right?
Investors poked and prodded the company, but Smith wouldn't flinch. Is this a buyer's market now that Ciena's competitors need all the business they can get? Not if you've got better products that can't be replaced by reduced-price products of your competitors. "We've seen competitive pricing our there for the past two to three years," he says, adding that at times competitors were willing to almost give product away to get rid of Ciena.Still smiling. What about Cisco's inventory write-off? Surely that'll pressure Ciena as Cisco dumps products into the market. Nope, Smith says Cisco's lines that compete with Ciena are doing just fine, so they don't need to cut prices. How about the spread of economic gloom? Ciena draws 30% to 40% of its revenue from international business, but is just as pleased with those businesses -- no slowdown there either, or so it seems. And on the brighter side, Ciena says it's definitely seeing relief in the components it buys. Smith says he's got more flexibility in lead times and that pricing is more flexible. What's not to like?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV