JPMorgan Tech Conference: Taking the Pulse on Tech's Recovery
SAN FRANCISCO -- There was a time when the tech-stock dictum was to "buy 'em at AEA and sell 'em at H&Q." Ah, what a simple time that was. One bought tech stocks at the late autumn gathering of the American Electronics Association in Monterey, Calif., and sold them at Hambrecht & Quist's annual technology conference in San Francisco strictly because tech stocks traded up into the Christmas season, when end products were hot, and down before the summer, when tech stocks typically snoozed.
Still, the 29th annual H&Q conference -- which kicks off today at the Westin St. Francis Hotel here -- promises to offer a window for tech-stock investors of all stripes. Bears will have plenty of fodder for their contention that the Nasdaq's recent rally is a head-fake worth shorting. Their evidence will be presentations by technology companies whose bad news in the past month has been greeted by rising stocks. Technology bulls will be looking for further evidence that the tech outlook isn't getting any worse, and therefore is destined to make money for investors.
"The timing of the conference is very good this year," enthuses H&Q Research Director Todd Bakar. "Some of the stocks (of presenting companies) are up 50% to 100% off their lows. Now there's lots of confusion as to what's going on. Everyone's trying to sort out the carnage."Thanks to Regulation FD, nonclients of the investment-banking unit of J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM) can listen to all the public presentations of the listed companies presenting at the conference. The bank will
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV