Smarter Money: Joining Oakmark Select? Better Late Than Never!
|Click here for the latest from James J. Cramer.|
Yes, you should send money to (OAKLX) Oakmark Select before it closes. Yes, Bill Nygren is one of the best managers out there. Yes, value is still the place to be. No, the fund is not too big to send money to, but it would be if Bill weren't closing it.
Bill has the integrity to know that his fund is getting too big. He understands that the revenue that comes from gathering assets isn't as important as the performance he can deliver, and his style won't allow for unlimited funds. That's why he is closing his fund next month.
I have been besieged with inquiries about whether it is too late to go to this fund. At first, I thought it might be, because the stampede that will be engendered by the fund's closing is going to put a huge amount of money into this fund. That said, Bill knows that. He has probably taken it into account. Sometimes it just comes down to whether you think a guy can handle it and keep doing his numbers, and I think Bill can handle the additional $500 million I bet he gets in during the next few weeks.I think he can maintain his 18% annual gain. And I like the idea of taking assets from the people who don't know how to run money and giving it to him. Who are those who don't know how to run money? Ah, the greatness of objectivity: anyone down 40%. (Nygren has also rung up solid gains with the (OAKMX) Oakmark fund since taking its reins a little over a year ago, and that less concentrated fund is still open to new investors. If you'd like to hear from the man himself, check out this recent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV