Cypress Clears Estimate, Projects Weaker Second Quarter
Cypress Semiconductor (CY) said it earned 25 cents a share in first-quarter earnings excluding items. Analysts had expected the company would earn 23 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial/First Call.
Revenue fell less than 1% to $262.3 million from $264.2 million a year earlier. But the company noted that it made some changes to its business model, which reduced revenue. Excluding the changes, the company said it had $287.3 in revenue.
Cypress, citing weak first-quarter orders and limited visibility, said it expects revenue to fall in the second quarter from the first, to about $200 million to $210 million. It also expects single-digit earnings per share. Analysts already expect it will earn 8 cents a share in the second quarter.
"Semiconductor industry revenue is now projected to decline 15% from 2000 revenue, and it appears that the communication segment, on which we have focused a significant portion of our business, is getting hurt the most," CEO T.J. Rodgers said in a statement. "However, we still believe that the wide area and storage networks, wireless terminal and wireless infrastructure end markets are high-growth markets long-term, and we will continue to focus our new product activities in those markets."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV