This article originally appeared on RealMoney.com on Sept. 5, 2014 at 5:30 a.m. To read more content like this AND see inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar portfolio for FREE... Click Here NOW.
Asian stock markets closed lower despite unprecedented monetary easing measures by the ECB, while European shares were mixed. Investors wait for the US non-farm payrolls data to confirm the strength of the U.S. economy.
Here are five things that matter for markets now:
- Ukrainian forces shelled pro-Russian rebels near the eastern port city of Mariupol just hours before a possible ceasefire is agreed. Representatives from Russia, Ukraine, the rebels and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) are due to meet in the capital of Belarus, Minsk, later in the day to hold peace talks.
- Allies of the U.S. including the U.K. and France have agreed to form a coalition to fight Islamic State militants in the Middle East.
- Apple (AAPL - Get Report) will add security for iCloud users, CEO Tim Cook told the Wall Street Journal. But he said none of the user IDs and passwords that had been stolen were leaked from the company's servers.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings and Dave Peltier's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. See them FREE today... Click Here NOW.
- China is easing credit rules to allow certain property developers to get finance in the interbank market, where they can get cheaper loans than if they borrow money from the banks, the Wall Street Journal reports. Meanwhile, data from Dealogic quoted by the FTshows that Chinese developers have been borrowing record amounts from global investors this year.
- Economic growth was flat in the eurozone in the second quarter, with investment falling, the second reading of the data released this morning showed. On the plus side, household consumption increased in the period.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts