NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- General Electric Co. (GE - Get Report) and Electrolux (ELUXY) , a Sweden-based household and professional appliances manufacturer and marketer, are said to be near a deal for the latter company to purchase GE's appliance business for $2.5 billion, Reuters reports.
The two companies are reportedly working out the final stages of the deal, which would help expand Electrolux's presence in North America, and an announcement could be made as early as next week, sources told Reuters.
In August, GE said it was looking into its options regarding the appliance business, which sells products under the brands GE Monogram, GE Cafe, and Hotpoint.
Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds Love
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
The business is worth between $2 billion and $2.5 billion, sources told Reuters.Shares of GE are up by 0.20% to $26 in early afternoon trading on Thursday, and shares of Electrolux are higher by 4.19% to $54.01. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GENERAL ELECTRIC CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GE's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.7%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- GENERAL ELECTRIC CO has improved earnings per share by 12.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GENERAL ELECTRIC CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.47 versus $1.38 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.67 versus $1.47).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Industrial Conglomerates industry average. The net income increased by 13.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $3,133.00 million to $3,545.00 million.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- 49.83% is the gross profit margin for GENERAL ELECTRIC CO which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GE's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.87% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GE Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts