NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Mattress Firm
(MFRM) shares are up 9.6% to $62.27 on Thursday after the company announced that it has agreed to acquire rival Sleep Train for $425 million in a deal that adds to the mattress manufacturer's lead as the countries largest mattress retailer.
The acquisition boosts Mattress Firm's presence on the West Coast as Sleep Train operates 310 specialty mattress stores in the western U.S.
Mattress Firm operates 1,480 stores in 36 states with annual revenue expected to approach $2 billion this year, while Sleep Train generated $471 million in revenue in 2013.
Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds Love
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
In separate news, the company reported second quarter earnings of 61 cents per diluted share, 1 cent better than analysts were expecting, on revenue of $410 million that was in line with analysts expectations. MFRM data by YCharts
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV