But with all of that, now this: Acer has just delivered the first Nvidia-based Chromebook, and it's a beauty. It comes in a few different versions, with 2 gig of RAM or 4 gig of RAM -- and with 768x1366 or 1080x1920 displays.
The one I tested had the 1080x1920 display. As far as I can remember, it's only the second Chromebook to have it. The other is a Samsung, but that's based on the slower Samsung CPU; I haven't had a chance to test that one yet.
The 1080x1920 resolution presents a bit of a problem for people with less than flawless eyesight, because the text becomes too small. You have to blow up the text by something like 50% for it to be acceptable next to other Chromebooks.The display itself is also a bit dim, just as most of these less expensive Chromebooks are, including the Asus I tested a few weeks ago. I put them largely on par with each other, other than the resolution. Here are the other two major advantages of the Nvidia-based Acer Chromebooks:
- Battery life is 11 hours (1080x1920 display) and 13 hours (768x1366 display). I don't think that any of the other 13-inch Chromebooks exceed those numbers.
- It is fanless, and so it's quiet, literally cool and presumably also durable over time. Most smartphones and tablets are fanless.
- 768x1366 resolution, 2 gig RAM, 16 gig SSD: $280.
- 1080x1920 resolution, 2 gig RAM, 16 gig SSD: $300.
- 1080x1920 resolution, 4 gig RAM, 32 gig SSD: $380.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV