NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of TIBCO Software (TIBX - Get Report) rose 5.99% to $22.30 in after-hours trading Wednesday after the company announced a broad strategic review of possible financial alternatives.
The company started the review on Aug. 16.
"Following a detailed evaluation over the past several months, we have determined that it is prudent to undertake a wide review of strategic and financial options to see which alternative or alternatives, including our standalone plans, are in fact the best way to maximize shareholder value," said TIBCO Chairman and CEO Vivek Ranadive in a statement.
Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds LoveSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. "Regardless of the outcome of the Special Committee's review, the entire TIBCO team is fully committed to meeting the needs of our customers and continuing to provide them with industry-leading solutions," Ranadive continued. "We remain focused on innovating and expanding our exceptional product portfolio while executing on the strategic and operational initiatives we announced earlier this year." Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TIBCO SOFTWARE INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate TIBCO SOFTWARE INC (TIBX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.58, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that TIBX's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.90 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for TIBCO SOFTWARE INC is currently very high, coming in at 72.52%. Regardless of TIBX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TIBX's net profit margin of 0.61% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $18.05 million or 27.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The share price of TIBCO SOFTWARE INC has not done very well: it is down 8.51% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TIBX Ratings Report