NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Fiat (FIATY) are higher by 2.47% to $9.97 in late afternoon trading after its Chrysler unit reported a 20% increase of vehicle sales in the U.S. to 198,379 units in August from 165,552 units reported in August of last year, above the 12% growth analysts' estimated.
Watch the video below for a closer look at U.S. auto sales for August:
The third largest U.S. auto maker, Chrysler which merged with the Italian automaker Fiat S.p.A, reported the best August sales since 2002.Fiat said the better than expected sales are due to the company's primary global Jeep brand, with a 49% surge in unit sales, and the Ram pickup trucks with a 33% growth in unit sales. Must Read: 50 Stocks Hedge Funds Love STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. FIATY data by YCharts EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV