I previewed these ervacycline data last week. Here's a look at what Tetraphase disclosed about the oral eravacycline data on Tuesday night:
The responder outcome (the FDA-mandated efficacy endpoint), for the IV-to-oral 200 mg, IV-to-oral 250 mg and levofloxacin (control) groups were 70.8%, 64.3% and 52.2%, respectively. A similar ordering was observed for microbiological response (European Medicines Agency endpoint), where the IV-to-oral 200 mg, IV-to-oral 250 mg and levofloxacin groups had response rates of 75.0%, 64.3% and 56.5%, respectively.
Both the low and high-dose oral eravacycline arms out-performed the levofloxacin control group, although the low dose of eravacycline demonstrated a better response than the high dose. What's causing this negative dose response? It could just be an artifact of a small trial, given each arm only enrolled 40 patients. Or, tolerability issues at the higher dose are leading to decreased efficacy. My guess is the former is more the cause.
In terms of adverse events, Tetraphase noted that only two patients discontinued from the study due to drug-related tolerability issues, one in each of the low and high dose arms. That's a relatively low 2.5% discontinuation rate. The most common side effects reported were nausea and vomiting, which were expected. The relatively low rate of discontinuation in the eravacycline study is encouraging given concerns about patients being able to tolerate oral dosing.
Tetraphase shares closed Tuesday night at $13.08, ahead of the study announcement.
Sobek has no position in Tetraphase.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV