NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer asks how high the bidding will go for Family Dollar (FDO) . Dollar General (DG) increased its bid to $80 a share in cash and also promised to close up to 1,500 stores.
Cramer says this move is a rebuttal to Family Dollar's method of stopping the deal, which is to say there is too much overlap compared to Dollar Tree (DLTR) , which has very little overlap.
Cramer calls the Dollar Tree deal the "bird in the hand" because he thinks the antitrust review on a Dollar General deal would be very tough. He believes the government would regard these companies as a particular class of stores, unlike Walmart (WMT) or Target (TGT) , that appeals to the lower middle class and must be protected.
"We rate DOLLAR TREE INC (DLTR) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, notable return on equity, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." You can view the full analysis from the report here: DLTR Ratings Report EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV